Everything You Need To Know Before Your Visit To Neuschwanstein Castle
Neuschwanstein Castle | Visitor Information At A Glance
- What are Neuschwanstein Castle's timings?
The timings for Neuschwanstein Castle may vary depending on the season and day of the week. Generally, the castle is open daily from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM from April 1st to October 15th, and from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM from October 16th to March 31st.
- Where is Neuschwanstein Castle located?
Neuschwanstein Castle is located in the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen in the southwest of Bavaria, Germany. The address for the same is Neuschwansteinstraße 20, 87645 Schwangau, Germany. Find on Maps.
- How many visitors does Neuschwanstein Castle see every year?
According to official figures, the castle attracts around 1.5 million visitors annually, making it one of the most visited castles in Europe.
- Does Neuschwanstein Castle offer parking facilities?
Yes, Neuschwanstein Castle offers parking facilities for visitors. Several parking areas are located near the castle, including P1, P2, and P4.
- What is the best time to visit Neuschwanstein Castle?
The best time to visit Neuschwanstein Castle is early in the morning, especially during peak season, to avoid heavy crowds.
Neuschwanstein Castle Timings
Where Is Neuschwanstein Castle Located?
Getting To Neuschwanstein Castle in Munich
- From Munich: Driving to Neuschwanstein Castle takes approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- From Nuremberg: Driving to Neuschwanstein Castle takes approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- From Augsburg: It takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes to drive to Neuschwanstein Castle.
Car parking is available at Neuschwanstein Castle, a few minutes walk from the entrance and opens daily.
How To Skip Lines at Neuschwanstein Castle?
- Buy tickets in advance: Purchase tickets online in advance to avoid waiting in line to buy tickets on the day of your visit. This is especially important during peak season when tickets can sell out quickly.
- Book a guided tour: Guided tours allow you to bypass the regular admission lines and access the castle more quickly. There are several tour options available, including private tours and group tours.
- Visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon: Plan to visit the castle early in the morning or later in the afternoon to avoid the busiest times of the day. This can help you avoid long lines and crowds.
- Visit during the off-season: Plan your visit during the off-season when there are fewer visitors. This can help you avoid long lines and make your stay more enjoyable.
Book Tickets to Neuschwanstein Castle
Know Before You Visit Neuschwanstein Castle
- Schlossbrauhaus Schwangau: Schlossbrauhaus Schwangau is a traditional Bavarian restaurant, around 2 kilometres away from Neuschwanstein Castle. It’s known for its authentic cuisine, picturesque setting and on-site brewery, where they produce their beer using only natural ingredients, offering visitors a taste of local flavour.
- Madame Plüsch: Madame Plüsch is a Swiss-themed restaurant located around 4.2 kilometres from the castle. They are known for their Alpine-style decor, live music performances, and traditional Swiss cuisine, including cheese fondue and raclette.
- Frühlingsgarten: Just a short 7-minute drive from the Neuschwanstein castle will land you at Frühlingsgarten, a family-run restaurant known for its authentic Bavarian dishes made with locally sourced and fresh ingredients.
- Photography and video recording are not allowed inside the castle.
- You must follow the guided tour and cannot explore the castle alone.
- Large bags and backpacks are not allowed inside the castle. You are required to store them in the lockers provided.
- Food and drinks are not allowed inside the castle.
- You are not allowed to touch or remove any objects inside the castle. This includes furniture, artwork, and decorative items.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the castle or on the castle grounds.
- Pets are not allowed inside the castle or on the castle grounds. However, guide dogs are permitted.
- Visitors are not allowed to use mobile phones inside the castle. Phones must be switched off or put on silent mode.
- Hohenschwangau Castle: A 19th-century palace built by King Ludwig II's father, just a few hundred meters from Neuschwanstein Castle.
- Museum of the Bavarian Kings: A museum in Hohenschwangau that showcases the history of the Bavarian royal family and their connections to the surrounding area.
- Alpsee Lake: A picturesque lake located at the base of the mountains near Neuschwanstein Castle, offering scenic hiking trails and boat tours.
- Tegelberg Cable Car: A cable car that takes visitors to the top of Tegelberg Mountain, offering panoramic views of the surrounding Alps.
- Buy your tickets online in advance to avoid waiting in long queues.
- Wear comfortable shoes as you'll need to walk uphill to reach the castle.
- Allow plenty of time for your visit as the guided tour takes approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Visit the castle early in the day or later in the afternoon to avoid crowds.
- Bring a water bottle and snacks, as there are limited options for food and drinks at the castle.
- Take some time to explore the surrounding area, including Hohenschwangau Castle and the nearby lakes.
- Check the weather forecast and dress appropriately, as the castle can get chilly even during summer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Neuschwanstein Castle
A) Neuschwanstein Castle is located in Schwangau, near Füssen, in the Bavarian Alps of Germany, at the following address: Neuschwansteinstraße 20, 87645 Schwangau, Germany.
A) The timings for Neuschwanstein Castle vary depending on the season, but generally, it is open daily from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, with extended hours in the summer months.
A) Neuschwanstein Castle has a floor area of approximately 6,000 square meters (65,000 square feet).
A) It typically takes around 2-3 hours to explore Neuschwanstein Castle, including time for the guided tour and exploring the surrounding area.
A) The best time to visit Neuschwanstein Castle is in the shoulder seasons of spring (April-May) and fall (September-October), or during weekdays in the summer months (June-August) to avoid crowds.
A) To get to Neuschwanstein Castle by public transport, you can board a train or a bus.
A) You can reach Neuschwanstein Castle by road via car or taxi. Follow Google Maps by entering the following address of the castle: Neuschwansteinstraße 20, 87645 Schwangau, Germany.
A) Yes, Neuschwanstein Castle is worth visiting for its stunning architecture, scenic location, and interesting history.
A) No, there is no age limit to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, but a guardian must accompany children under 18.
A) Wheelchairs are available for rent at the ticket centre for visitors with mobility impairments or disabilities at Neuschwanstein Castle.
A) There is limited free parking available at Neuschwanstein Castle, but paid parking lots are available nearby.